Innovation, technology and sustainability
In 2018, the start of the Business Plan confirmed a strong boost for infrastructural investments in both the water and the electricity sector: resilient technology and innovation, paying special care to sustainable development for the environment and for people.
On 12 January 2018, Acea and Open Fiber entered into an agreement to develop an ultra-broadband communication network in the city of Rome: an innovative service for the entire city. In 2019, Acea entered the sector of gas distribution and approved the new 2019-2022 Business Plan to accelerate growth. The foundations are being laid to construct the second line of the Peschiera aqueduct, which will protect the water supply for the Capital.
New growth path
In 2017, we used the 2018-2022 Business Plan to identify the principles and strategic objectives on which to base our growth path. In the same year, Acea tackled one of its most serious water crises. Its hard work in carrying out extraordinary maintenance on the water network guaranteed service continuity for citizens, also thanks to a campaign raising awareness to the responsible use of the resource, which led to the company becoming the promoter of a sustainability culture, through a virtual collaboration with users. The restyling of the logo launched Acea into the digital world.
Towards an increasingly digital company
We introduced our Work Force Management (WFM) system the digital, computerised platform which enables all the Acea Group business activities to be coordinated and monitored in real time. We created MyAcea, the reserved online area, which allows you to simply and rapidly manage your water, electricity and gas utilities from a single account without needing to go to a branch office.
The new trademark and entry into the overseas market
In the year 2000, Acea entered the overseas market with the construction and concession of a water plant in Lima. In 2001, Acea acquired the Enel electricity distribution network in Rome. In 2001, as business consortium leader, Acea was awarded the management of the integrated water service in Campania for Ato 3 Sarnese-Vesuviano and, in Tuscany, for Ato 2 (Pisa) and Ato 6 (Grosseto-Siena). In 2002, the company won the tender for Ato 3 (Florence), as well as the tender to manage Ato 5 Southern Lazio - Frosinone.
Listing on the stock market
In 1991, the Municipality transformed Acea into a special Company and, on 1 January 1998, the SpA was incorporated. From 19 July 1999, Acea SpA was admitted to listing on the Italian Stock Exchange and began an intense spin-off process. In 1993, the Eur water centre came into operation. In implementation of the Galli law, Acea was identified as the integrated water service provider for Ato 2 Lazio. In 1996, the new Tor di Valle combined cycle power plant came into operation.
Waste treatment and cogeneration
In 1985, Acea took over the management of the capital's waste water treatment. In 1984, the Tor di Valle cogeneration power plant came on stream for the production of thermal energy for residential district heating as regards the district area of Torrino Sud. In 1989, the company took over the management of public lighting. In 1989, Acea changed its name to Azienda comunale dell’energia e dell’ambiente (Municipal Energy and Environment Company).
The creation of a great aqueduct system
Acea continued to optimise its distribution system: it built receiver substations, transformer centres and launched the remote control of the mains network. It increased its commitment in the water sector and reclaimed the city's outer suburbs. In September 1976, Acea's redevelopment plan was approved for sanitary installations and road lighting in 82 of Rome's outer suburbs. In 1979, the Peschiera-Capore aqueduct system, one of the largest in Europe, was constructed.
Strengthening our position in the drinking water sector
In 1962, the Company moved its head office to Piazzale Ostiense. It continued to increase public lighting throughout the city of Rome. When the licence to the Company Acqua Pia Antica Marcia expired, the municipal council of Rome assigned the management of the Marcio aqueduct to Acea. On 7 November, the Water Board confirmed Acea as drinking water service operator for the Capital.
Corporate plans for the city
On 30 March 1953, the city Council approved Acea's plan to make the city electrically self-sufficient and to improve the residents' water system, including: new electricity stations and receiver substations, water power plants, the completion of the Peschiera aqueduct, the search for new aquifers and the construction of other aqueducts. In preparation for the Rome Olympics of 1960, Acea modernised the public lighting systems in the capital.
The war and the struggle to recover
8 May 1940 saw the inauguration of the Salisano hydroelectric power plant, built in a cave along the route of the Peschiera aqueduct. During the war, the electricity generation plants suffered severe damage. However, the company technicians were soon able to restore them. By the end of 1945, the former Agea, now Acea (Municipal Electricity and Water Company) guaranteed a regular supply of electricity. In 1949, the Peschiera aqueduct came into operation.
Acquisition of the water service
In view of the growing demand for electricity due to the city's considerable rise in population and increase in building work, in 1931-1933 Aeg expanded the Montemartini power plant. On 2 September 1937, the Rome Governorship assigned the management of the municipal aqueducts and the construction and management of the Peschiera aqueduct to Aeg, which changed its name to Agea, Gubernatorial Electricity and Water Company.
The construction of the power plants
In 1926, Aem became Aeg, Electricity Company for the Governorship of Rome. The city street lights increased to almost 18 thousand, approximately 13 thousand more than in 1915 and the Castel Madama power plant was upgraded. A year later, another hydroelectric power plant, Galileo Ferraris, began operating in Mandela.
The foundation of the AEM
AEM, Municipal Electric Company of the Municipality of Rome was created in order to supply energy for public and private lighting. 1912 saw the inauguration of the Power Plant in Via Ostiense, which would subsequently be named after the Councillor for Technology in the Nathan Executive Committee, Giovanni Montemartini.